What is fear?
“Fear is pain arising from the anticipation of evil.”- Aristotle
Fear is not always a bad thing. But when it becomes too much, it becomes a problem.
People fear lots of things, if not everything. They fear: success, criticism, public embarrassment, failure, being alone or loneliness, disappointment, death, poverty, etc.
It does not matter what you fear, but one thing is clear: “Fear is a state of mind.” It is in your mind. You created it. You created it by focusing on what is not possible, by focusing on negative things. It is only YOU who can change it.
Fear and what it does to you.
- You don’t think for yourself anymore. You allow people to do the thinking for you, instead of doing it yourself. When you do that, you are denying yourself of the opportunity to learn more about fear, to build self-confidence. As a strategy to confront what you fear, try as much as possible to do the thinking yourself. Remember, what you fear is in your mind. You cannot face fear without first changing your state of mind.
- You can’t control yourself anymore. When you allow people to do the thinking for you, they are controlling you. They are making your critical decisions for you. As a result, you have given the key to heart to them. Who controls your mind controls you. Don’t allow people to control your mind. It is your precious gift, take good care of it.
- You lack self-reliance. You lack self-reliance because you depend on people’s decisions to live your life. Take it back!
- You concentrate on failure instead of success. When you focus on fear, when you focus on what is not possible, instead of what is possible, you are focusing on negative things. To correct this, no matter where you are and what you are doing, always have a positive picture in your mind.
- You doubt yourself. Self-doubt comes from not believing in yourself that you can get anything done. If you doubt yourself, you will find it hard to do anything of importance. Before you engage in anything, make sure you are in a positive state of mind.
- Your self-confidence suffers. When you are courageous, when you are bold, when you are fearless, your self-confidence goes up. On the contrary, when you doubt yourself, when you dominate your mind with fear, your self-confidence suffers. As a result, you can’t get anything done.
- You are unsteady when you fear a lot. Fear makes people unsteady. They can’t stick to one thing. In other words, they suffer from ‘indecision syndrome.’
- Fear leads to unhappiness. When you focus squarely on what is not possible instead of what is possible, it affects your happiness. Because fear prevents you from doing the things that are relevant to your health and well-being.
How To Master Fear.
In order to conquer your fear, you must be bold, but not arrogant. You must be courageous. You must be fearless. If you face your fear, your fear will disappear.
“Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.”- Mark Twain
The first step to changing your life is to take responsibility, not blaming others. Other people are not responsible for your fear or fears. You created the picture of fear in your mind; it is YOU who can change it.
“When you think everything is someone else’s fault, you will suffer a lot.”- The Dalai Lama
Clear your mind of negative thoughts.
Where there is fear, success has no chance. If you want success to come to you, you must first clear your mind of negative thoughts that you have allowed into your mind.
“Whenever there is fear, you will get wrong figures.”- W. Edwards Deming, American engineer
Ask yourself: “Why am I scared of this thing?” Be honest with yourself. If you cannot ask the question yourself, ask someone you trust to do it for you.
Don’t deny your feelings. Try to analyze it, understand it, and plan how to embrace it- to make it work for you.
“Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.”- Sigmund Freud
Focus on strengths.
If you know what you are good at, you will not be paralyzed by fear. Before you start a new thing, assess it to know what you need to get it done.
“What you focus on expands.”- Jim Rohn
You do well at something when you believe in yourself. If you don’t believe that you can get something done, you will find it difficult to get great results. To achieve success, start by believing in yourself. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one will believe in you.
“As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.”- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Have a clear purpose.
Your life’s purpose will help you conquer your fear, if it is stronger than what you fear. If your desire to succeed is stronger than your fear, you will defeat fear.
“The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things.”- Rainer Maria Rilke, poet
Embrace your fear
Embrace your fear. Analyze your fear. Understand your fear. Face what you fear, and your fear will give way.
“It’s the perpetual dread of fear, the fear of fear, that shapes the face of a brave man.”- Georges Bernanos, author
Face what you fear, and your fear will retire.
if you enjoyed this article, feel free to send it to your friends.