Tell me about yourself
Tell me about yourself is one of the questions you will get when interviewing for a position. It is an introductory question. It brings you closer to the interviewer. It is an ice breaker question.
Lots of job applicants do not answer it correctly. Here are what the interviewer wants to hear from you:
- They want to hear a well-organized summary of your experiences, skills, talents, and educational accomplishments.
- The interviewer wants to know whether you can sell or describe yourself.
- They want to know what your assets are.
- They want to know what your liabilities are.
- The interviewer wants to know whether you are the right candidate for the job.
Let your answers be short
Talk about the qualities you have that fit the job.none
Explain why you are the right candidate for the job. Make sure your answers match the job you are interviewing for.
Talk MORE about your accomplishments with SPECIFIC examples. Your examples should match the job you are interviewing for.
What they don’t want to hear:
- They don’t want to hear about your life history. Stay away from irrelevant information.
- PLEASE don’t say you don’t like talking about yourself, or I don’t know how to describe myself.
Don’t spend time talking about negative things- focus on the positive side of you. The interviewer wants to hear positive things about yourself, and how you change negative things into positive things. People want to be around those that are positive. Be one of them!
Be careful about how you describe yourself-the interviewer might see you as rude or disrespectful.